Thursday, September 20, 2012

First Days of School 2012



The kids started school almost a month ago. I can’t believe it’s already been that long. Kyler has started 4th grade! I cannot believe he is a 4th grader already. He is amazing. He’s so smart and always stays on top of things. He’s very responsible and I’ve started letting him be “in charge” when I go visiting teaching down the street and he’s awesome. 

Kamaryn has started 2nd grade! She is growing up so fast! She loves school and loves her teacher and her friends. She thrives on the social aspect of school which I love. I am the room parent for her class so I get to coordinate helpers for parties and field trips and things. I hope that the parents are willing to help so that it’s easy.

Ashton is in Kindergarten!!! I can’t believe that either. Their school has a Spanish Immersion program and we put him on the list to get him into that. I wondered if he would be ok in a program like that but figured that since he is already reading and kindergarten is only half day here and very basic, that it would be a good thing for him. So he got into the program… yay! So every day they spend half the day learning in Spanish and half the day learning in English. He has really seemed to enjoy it so I’m happy about that. It is a challenge for him which is good especially since his homework has been rhyming words and writing his name and counting… sigh. 

So here are the pictures from the first days of school. Ashton started a week later than the other two so that’s why we have first “days”. 








***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

A note about our garden… I love that we have a garden. It’s fun and yummy! This year we had planted a bunch of green beans, a green pepper plant, 4 broccoli plants and a lonely tomato plant. The broccoli got HUGE! If you ever want to plant broccoli, be sure you have a lot of space for it...hee hee.
We got 4 really good size heads of broccoli and then pulled the plants out (do they grow more than one head each?). Our green pepper plant had a teeny little green pepper on it and unfortunately got smashed one day so that was a bummer. But the little plant kept on growing. It’s about doubled in size. The green beans are doing excellently and we have had a bunch of yummy fresh beans this summer so far. I wish we could grow them year round, they are so good! 

And our tomato plant… Well, it took forever for it to grow much. It wasn’t until we pulled out the broccoli plants which were next to the tomato that it really took off. About a month ago or so I took some pictures of it. It had grown to be as tall as Kyler and about 2-3 feet wide. The day after I took the pictures it actually pulled down the little trestle it was climbing against the house because it was so heavy. By this time it had only started growing a hand full of tomatoes. We only lost a tiny piece of it in its fall and it has turned into an absolute monster! I should take another picture of it but I wanted to blog so I don’t’ have one of how it is now. But it has completely overtaken the pepper plant (which is trying super hard to keep growing) and the closest row of green beans. We have to dig when we want to look for beans from that row… ha ha. And so far we’ve only harvested one tomato. There are lots more on it now so hopefully we’ll have lots of fresh tomatoes in the next few weeks and hopefully it won’t frost too soon this year. 

Tomato monstrosity before it fell over

Ben picking beans with the tomato in the background


0 comments: