Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mary Alice Tanner - My Grandmother


The reason that we had to hurry and leave so quickly last Friday was because my dear Grandmother passed away. She had Alzheimer's and had really gone down hill since Christmas. My sweet Grandpa was able to care for her in their home right until the very end. For the last couple years she has struggled with remembering people and it was difficult to know that she didn't know who you were. The last time my little family got to see her was in September before we moved. I was sad that we didn't get to see her before she passed but I am grateful as well because everyone said that she just wasn't Grandma anymore. Grandpa took her to the hospital on Wednesday, April 2, and her kidneys were not working. She passed away on Thursday, April 3, 2008. She was 88 years old.




Her memorial service was just wonderful. It gave us all a chance to remember her and things that she did and said. Here are a few of my fondest memories:

~ We always went to their house for Sunday dinner and it was always delicious!

~ Their house is across from the elementary and middle schools. Every day when we got out of school she was sure to be waiting to see us and she would pop out the door and wave at us with both hands.

~ She would always "spank" us. You have to be able to picture it because it's so funny. She would lay one hand palm-up against your backside and then smack that hand with her other hand.

~ She always played solitaire and would cheat when she couldn't win. We also played go fish when we were younger.

~ Going for walks.

~ She always sang nursery rhymes to us.

~ Whenever we walked in the house we could go right to the cookie jar and take whatever we wanted from the fridge. It was just expected.

~ Her and Grandpa came to our house for every birthday to have cake and ice cream with us, and every Christmas morning to see what we got from Santa.

~ And she was the biggest tease. She always asked about what boys we liked... hee hee. I like to think that I got my teasing from her.


I am so grateful for my 27 years that I knew my Grandmother. I hope I can be more like her in my life. She was always service minded and concerned about others. I am more than grateful that I have a knowledge of eternal life and the Resurrection and I know that I will see her again. It brings such peace to my soul. And now she remembers all of those wonderful things that she had lost in her last years. It makes me smile to think of her. I do miss her and I always will. It was so wonderful to live just down the street and spend so much time with her growing up. I will treasure it forever.

7 comments:

Hillary said...

Such sweet memories of such a great Grandma. I'm so glad you have such wonderful things to remember her by and that the memorial service was so lovely.

Emily said...

What a great tribute to her to have those fond memories!

Rebecca said...

Aw, april, you are so lucky to have had a wonderful Grandma like that! It is so great that she can now remember all the memories and YOU! Did anyone ever tell you that you look a bit like her? :)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a lovely person she was, and I know you will miss her. I am so glad you have all your wonderful memories of her!!

Marcy said...

I really enjoyed reading that April. What a terrific tribute to your grandma. She sounds amazing. I'm so glad you have so many great memories. There is something special and unique about a grandparents unconditional love. I'm so glad you had that, as did I. Isn't it the best? I'm so sorry this is hard. I understand---I've been there. :(

Melissa said...

That was really good, it made me tear up! I love you tons and was really glad to see you even though it was for Grandma's funeral.

Christena said...

I also remember the tiny pancakes she used to make!